After the long, harsh winter months, nothing can be more appealing than a little sprucing up in the home. We grew up watching our mothers begin spring cleaning at the first sign of warm weather. Out with the old and in with the new is the old adage that bears repeating. We are drawn to the joyful promise of a new beginning each and every spring. Here are a few budget-friendly ideas that you can try to get yourself into the spring mindset.
- Decluttering- Clutter detracts from the overall function of your home. Get three bags, keep, donate, and trash. Go room to room-filling the bags. Any progress you make will be better than doing nothing. Appreciate the fact that as you clear your space, you also clear your mind.
- Clean your windows- Spring is the best time to thoroughly clean your windows, both inside and out. Any glass cleaner will suffice and you will be delighted to let the sunshine in.
- Add new Accessories- Adding a few new accessories can breathe new life into any room. New bath towels, throw rugs, accent pillows or a new wall hanging are a few items that can change the vibe of the entire room. Browse your local home goods stores for ideas and inspiration.
- Reorganize your closets- cleaning your closets is a great way to take stock of your possessions. You can easily weed out items that no longer serve a purpose and donate them to a worthy cause. Declutter, clean and organize as you go. Remember pantry closets as you go.
- Replace existing hardware- an easy way to update a kitchen cabinet or a bathroom vanity is to replace knobs and drawer pulls.
Try to match finishes for a put-together look. Experiment with bold colors and unique types. This simple change will give your room a fresh, new appearance.
- Add Greenery-Adding a bit of green is a quick way to spruce things up for spring. Whether you add a window sill garden, a bouquet of fresh flowers, or a complete herb garden the added greenery will surely bring a smile to your face. If you are worried that you won’t be able to take care of the plants, there are low-maintenance options such as succulents that look just as good.
- Refinish existing furniture- Give your natural wood furniture a new look with wax or polish. Wood stain comes in hundreds of colors. If you are feeling adventurous why not just repaint the entire piece? You can repurpose your existing pieces and create updated looks for spring.
- Paint/Wallpaper- the simple act of repainting a room a new color is a great way to get a big design bang for a few bucks. Try painting an entire room, only an accent wall, your front door, and window shutters or mailbox. Wallpaper can also be a good choice to refresh a room. Choose from an array of colors and patterns to create a dynamic new look.
- Rearrange your furniture- rethink your existing room layout and reconfigure the furnishings you already own. This can be the most cost-effective way to refresh your home for spring. Select accent pieces from other rooms, change the theme of the room, and experiment with a mixture of periods and styles. You can create your own unique style with decoration.
- Invest in one high profile project- if you decide to splurge on a single item to change make it a high profile one. Investing in a good quality addition to the home will help anchor the room thus making the smaller details shine more brightly.
- Add pillows and throws- throw blankets and decorative pillows add warmth and coziness to your house with very little effort. Throws are a good option, during the transition from cooler to warmer weather. Play around with different sizes, colors, and textures to create your own distinct look.
With the warmer weather on its way, it is a perfect time to start thinking about how you can “spruce up” your home this spring. As you can see there are many ways to do this and hopefully, this list has given you a few ideas to try. What are your spring projects? Keep an eye out for weekend decorating projects you can do on a budget. You can add new life into your space and create the feeling of a new beginning this spring.