When embarking on any type of remodeling or redesign it is prudent to do your homework before beginning. The preparations and expenses can be very costly and time-consuming. Having preliminary plans and a course of action is not only necessary but helpful. Hiring a professional may seem expensive, but in the long run, it is very cost-effective. Consider hiring an Architect for your remodeling project.
There are many avenues to take when embarking on renovations and new construction. You need to find a way that will solve any problems and fits your budget. There are many opinions that prove how an architect fits into the process. The issue of cost frequently surfaces. Owners want value for their construction investment and architect’s fees can appear to be just an additional cost. On the contrary; a good architect works with you to protect your investment which could potentially save you money on your construction project.
Here are a few reasons hiring an architect can save you money:
- Architects provide cost-effective design solutions. An architect’s primary job is to listen to you and take note of your preferences. Having conversations with your architect helps him discover what makes your family unique so he can provide specific solutions that are designed to address your specific issues and lifestyle. Architects are trained to think outside the box and provide alternate designs early in the process. This can help you explore multiple, cost-effective solutions that might actually lower your construction costs.
- Architects research products to maximize your investment. It is the role of the architect to generally specify the materials and products you will use for your project. He will take into consideration not only the initial construction costs but also life-cycle costs. Licensed architects are required to complete continuing education thereby keeping up to date on advances in building materials and new products. Using that knowledge they will specify products that can save you energy, lower maintenance cost,s and/or provide the performance criteria that you require as a homeowner. During a typical construction project, you will be required to make lots of decisions. An architect can help you make the choices that work best for you and your investment.
- Finding solutions on paper are less expensive than solutions during a construction project. During any construction, time is money. You are incurring all types of costs and your goal is to finish on time and budget. Your architect is able to work out tricky construction details on paper before the first wall is erected thereby minimizing questions and decisions made in the field which helps avoid delays.
- Comprehensive architectural drawings guarantee accurate pricing of your project. Ask your architect to show you a set of construction drawings. These drawings are essential. They are the means by which they communicate with your builder what exactly you want in your design. It is a blueprint of how you want your project to look and how you expect it to be built. When a contractor receives these comprehensive drawings, they are able to provide extremely accurate pricing. There is no need for guesswork. If it is in the drawings and specifications it should be in your contractor’s price and your final project.
- Your architect is your representative during the construction process. His role during construction is to help your project remain within your budget. His goal is for your design expectations to be met or exceeded. Your architect will thoroughly review the payment request and shop drawings to determine that you are getting exactly what you paid for. He is always available to answer questions and solve any problems related to unforeseen conditions in the field, which helps avoid costly delays in construction.
Your new home or renovation project may not require an architect, but it certainly can benefit from one. Most architects are innately creative, talented individuals that can, and will, make the most out of a design. If you need advice about how partnering with an architect can add value to your construction project, we at Scarano Architect, are more than happy to have a conversation with you. You will be glad that you did.