The architectural profession is a field that attracts those who have a vision. They are usually very creative and think outside the box. To become a licensed, registered architect you need to complete a 5-year bachelor’s program accredited by the National Board of Architects but you must first apply and be accepted into the program and there is fierce competition for those seats. The final part is the actual licensing exam. Immediately following your formal education most jurisdictions require you to complete an internship before getting formally licensed.
Growing up many children are fascinated with building with LEGO blocks, erector sets, and/or Lincoln Logs. They may spend hours creating buildings and structures and as a result, aspire to become an architect. It is considered a sexy job that pays well and has a certain glamor factor. You get to build fantastic structures and are free to design and create to your heart’s content. At some point, you will probably choose an architecture specialty. There are several main types of architects who focus on different types of structures and designs. Here is a detailed list of the seven different types of architects that build everything in society including houses, skyscrapers, bridges, museums, schools, landscapes, cities, and more.
- Residential Architects- Basically speaking, residential architects design homes. They work closely with homeowners designing custom homes or adjusting existing home plans. They also work closely with developers and home builders. For example, if a developer is building a large subdivision, the architect will design a variety of homes to be built. Most residential architects will deal with their clients directly, handling many different tasks. He will be designing the home, drawing out all of the plans (with proper measurements), and coming up with estimates for the cost of the materials and labor involved. If you engage a residential architect you will have a smooth experience building your new home. He will make sure you get a home designed specifically for you that truly matches your personal style, making it well worth the effort.
- Commercial Architects- Commercial architects design buildings with a commercial purpose such as office buildings, skyscrapers, hotels, bridges, schools, museums, government buildings, multi-unit residential buildings, and any type of building that is not a residential home. Commercial architects are mainly designing larger commercial properties. They work mostly with businesses rather than individuals. Commercial architects are going to be very adept at creating beautiful buildings that will be pleasing to a large number of different people. They best understand how to make a building flow and they will design it in such a way as to promote good traffic and flow in retail spaces. In many ways, being a commercial architect is more complicated than working as a residential architect. These architects are going to need to understand building codes to a higher degree and they will also need to possess a certain amount of engineering knowledge. It can be difficult to create a building that is so important to so many different types of people. The best commercial architects will thrive in this environment and relish the challenges presented to them. These buildings can potentially become important parts of the cities that they occupy for a long time to come.
- Landscape Architects- are going to focus on creating outdoor spaces for people to enjoy. He will be tasked with creating outdoor structures in spaces such as parks, college campuses, garden areas, etc. Landscape architecture is all about creating walking paths and generally designing the layout of the outdoor areas. Sometimes landscape architects will have even more on their plate than other architects due to the size and scope of the area they are designing. A landscape architect that is designing the layout of a college campus will have much to consider. There will be a lot of ground to cover and the architect will need to make things aesthetically pleasing while ensuring that traffic flows well. To be a successful landscape architect you will need to have a lot of knowledge about plants and what will work well in the environment they are working in. This adds a different layer of complexity to this type of architecture. He must create engaging spaces that pique the interest of visitors while functioning optimally in all other ways.
- Interior Design Architects– these types of architects have the important job of ensuring that the interior elements of a building are as pleasing as possible. Sometimes clients will enlist the help of an interior designer to help spruce up their existing homes. These design experts understand how to get the most out of your living space and will be able to make changes to add to the overall aesthetic appeal of your home. They need to have a deep understanding of design elements and real artistic sensibilities. Interior design is all about understanding how to pair colors up inside of living space and matching up different elements to form a cohesive whole. The design of commercial space is also very important and the most respected interior design architects will always be in high demand.
- Urban Design Architect- is going to be tasked with a larger scale project such as designing an entire neighborhood. He will need to consider the layout of the entire block and will have to plan ahead to achieve the desired results. Urban design architects have the interesting challenge of making an area as beautiful as possible. Most will plan out everything down to the tiniest details. There is a lot to consider when working on this type of project. Architects who work in this field have to think about complex particulars, such as street layouts and the skyline. It requires that a person is able to think of many perspectives at once and for this reason, it is thought of as one of the more complex types of architecture jobs. These architects are going to be serving the entire community of people who will be living in and around the area being created. It is a great responsibility that is challenging as well as fulfilling.
- Green Design Architects- with environmental concerns at an all-time high, people are thinking about the impact they are having on the environment. They want to be able to lower their carbon footprint and make as little impact on the environment as possible. A green design architect is specifically trained to be able to design a home to be as environmentally friendly as possible. Your home will be made using as many renewable energy sources as possible. Architects who are trying to make homes as green as possible will need to have a lot of knowledge in specific areas. It is important for them to know how to use the natural properties of the sun and the shade. Aerodynamics often plays a key role in designing these types of properties. As fossil fuels continue to become less viable, people are going to be turning to renewable energy sources and environmentally friendly techniques and these will be even more important in the decades to come.
- Industrial Architects- aspire to design industrial facilities. When you want a facility to operate as smoothly as possible it is important to consider everything about the building. An architect that is an expert in this field is going to be able to design the facility in such a way that it will operate as efficiently as possible. They can get the most out of a space and take steps to ensure that everything looks as beautiful as possible. Architects understand the needs of industrial facilities and planning everything out ahead of time is the best way to go about it. The buildings will need to be the right size and certain features will need to be spaced out just right. Access to everything is vital and nothing can be placed inconveniently. Doing this job right will require a deep understanding of the needs of the industry in which the facility is being designed. For this reason, any architect who wants to get into the field of industrial architecture will need a broad knowledge base as well as a willingness to continually learn and adapt.
As you can see architecture is a very important career path. It can be challenging and very lucrative once you have built up a reputation. Among the many types of architectural fields, residential architects are among the most common type. These professionals set out to help design everyday homes to meet your specifications. In the modern area, it is very common to see neighborhood houses that are not all the same. Designing intriguing homes is something many architects are passionate about. Whatever your design requirements may be, you need to look no further than our company, Scarano Architect, PLLC. Robert Scarano and his team of professionals will be more than happy to design the home of your dreams. Call us today!