Architecture is one of the oldest known occupations on the planet. There are many inquiries about its history and much to know and learn. A few frequently asked questions are: how did architecture get started? what are some modern architectural trends? name a few famous buildings, how is the conservation movement affecting architecture? In this article, I will answer those questions about architecture you always wanted to know but were afraid to ask!
- Who was considered the number one architect in the world? Antonio Gaudi was a Spanish architect who designed innovative buildings throughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. He was influenced by neo-gothic styles, art nouveau, and modernism also known as Catalan modernism. He spent his entire career in Barcelona, Spain where he built all his projects. His most famous is the 1883 cathedral known as La Sagrada Familia, still under construction today.
- Which countries are the highest ranking in architectural design today? China has earned the top-ranking spot in 2022, followed by the United States and Japan. Italy, Great Britain, Taiwan, and Turkey are next in line. Germany, Portugal, and Australia finish out the top ten.
- Where does the word “Architecture” come from? Architecture comes from the Greek “architéktōn” meaning chief builder.
- Where is the “bridge of eggs” located? There is a bridge in Lima, Peru that was built around 1610 and is still standing. Remarkably, its mortar was mixed using 10,000 egg whites instead of water, hence its name.
- What Lego bricks were produced especially for architects? The Lego company produced special bricks specifically for architects. The “Modulex” bricks were smaller and more to scale. Sadly, they were discontinued in the 1970s.
- Who invented Lincoln Logs? They were the brainchild of John Lloyd Wright, son of iconic architect Frank Lloyd Wright. He was inspired by the interlocking beams of the foundation below Lloyd Wright’s Senior’s Imperial Hotel in Tokyo.
- What is the tallest building in the world? The Burj Khalifa is an extremely tall skyscraper in Dubai. It is the tallest building in the world at 2,717 feet. It is 162 stories and construction started in 2004. It was officially opened in 2010.
- What is considered the greatest architectural achievement of all time? The Great Wall of China is one of the largest construction projects ever undertaken. It’s the world’s largest wall and largest ancient architecture. The Great Wall was built continuously from the 3rd century BC to the 17th century AD. Located on the northern border of the country as a great military defense project. It is 13,170 miles long.
- How many bricks were used to build the Empire State Building? Over 10 million bricks were used to build this iconic structure.
- What is a “house of rice skin?” Japanese farmers, after removing the hulls from their leftover rice crop, sort out the white kernels, take the hulls and mix them into a kind of paste. They then mold the substance into brick-shaped blocks and build houses with them. They are known as “houses of rice skin.’
- How large is the great pyramid? The base of the great pyramid in Egypt is large enough to cover ten football fields. According to the Greek historian Herodotus, it took 400,000 men twenty years to construct.
- Where happened to the Alaskan ice hotel? The Aurora Ice Hotel in Alaska was made entirely of ice. It had ice walls, ceilings, beds, a bar, and even martini glasses made of ice. It was closed by the Fire Marshall for not having smoke detectors!
- What was celebrated architect Zaha Hadid known for? She was best known for never designing a building containing a right angle.
- How long was the Hoover dam built to last? The Hoover Dam was built to last 2,000 years, the concrete used to form the immense curved structure will not be cured for another 500 years!
I hope you enjoyed learning these fun facts about architecture. In closing let’s see how much you know about Scarano Architect, PLLC:
- What year was Scarano Architect established? Robert Scarano began doing business in 1985 in Brooklyn Heights.
- Which college did Robert Scarano attend and obtain his architectural degree? Robert Scarano attended the City University of New York and obtained his architectural degree in a 5-year program. Robert passed his Registered Architecture certification exam on his first try. It is said to be one of the most difficult exams administered by the state of New York.
- What is significant about “Bright & Green” the multi-family dwelling designed and constructed by Scarano Architect, PLLC? This six-story residential building is one of the few in New York that qualifies as LEEDS certified, Net Zero, and Passive House. The building is net positive meaning it produces a surplus of energy that can be returned to the grid.
Now you know a few interesting facts about Scarano Architect, PLLC. Check out our website for more information.