Architecture as we know it is supposed to look and feel safe. Architects go to great lengths to ensure buildings meet all safety codes in their area. It is frightening to know that some buildings have personalities, and they can be evil ones. The subreddit group “Evil Buildings” collects and identifies buildings that could be the home to a supervillain or an evil corporation. These buildings are not owned by an evil spirit, but their overall look, in some specific atmospheres, can unsettle your soul. Is it very disturbing that many of these buildings are hotels?
Architecture Buildings That Look Evil:
1. Krestovsky Stadium in Saint Petersburg, Russia
This may be just a stadium, always in the fog, but it resembles a scene from a Martian attack.
2. Bridge over the Gauja River in Valmiera, Latvia
Ever-present fog makes this creepy architecture even creepier.
3. Avalski Toranj (Avala Tower) in Belgrade, Serbia
Looks like someone is standing there waiting to be drawn up into the sky.
4. Ponte City Skyscraper in the Berea suburb of Johannesburg,
The fifty-five stories high hollow center of the tower was supposed to bring light into the interiors but instead projects a creepy silhouette.
5. Soviet-Era Radar Located in the Chornobyl Exclusion Zone
It looks like the earth is devoid of human life.
6. Hallgrímskirkja Church in Reykjavík, Iceland
It looks like a beautiful church until you cannot unsee it is staring down at you.
7. Former Research Institute for Experimental Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Resembles Frankenstein’s tower. Who are they experimenting on?
8. Гостиница, a Hotel in Russia
Would you like a room with a view of the (cooling towers)? Scary.
9. The North Korean Ryugyong Hotel
The tallest unoccupied building in the world is often called “The Hotel of Doom.”
10. Building of the government of the Autonomous Province of Vojvodina, Novi Sad, Serbia
Serbia has more than its fair share of unsettling architecture.
11. Hyatt Regency Hotel, San Francisco
Who would want to go into this building because it looks like it toppled over.
12.“Torre Velasca”, Milan, Italy
This building is weird on many levels. Fun to look at but would you dare enter?
Buildings all around the world can easily fit into these “spooky” categories. Whether it is the placement of the windows, the dark façade, or exposed steel beams, there are several reasons a building can seem ominous. Of course, weather can add to the perceived horror. Insert a rainy, foggy day and you will surely get the chills.
At SCARANO ARCHITECT, PLLC we will guide you and protect you from any evil buildings you may be frightened of. We give non-scary, free estimates on all our jobs. Do not be afraid to give us a call today…. we don’t bite!