The Reconstruction of this Italianate Row House dating back to 1852 presented an exercise in rehabilitation which had to satisfy the demands of the owner, the department of buildings and the landmarks preservation commission.
Located in the Cobble Hill section of Brooklyn (one of the highest hills on Long Island) this multi-family building was in desperate need of a renovation. Most of the useful life of the major components had expired and in fact, the building was being warehoused for a future hospital site expansion.
The owner, a prominent businessman and lover of antiquities helped spear head the creation of not only his families’ duplex but six other rental apartments within the structure. Restoring its original appearance, maintaing many of the historic details and modernizing the building systems proved to be a successful combination that can be a model for renovation of similar sites.